President Donald Trump is joined by the Congressional leadership and his family before formally signing his cabinet nominations into law, in the President’s Room of the Senate, at the Capitol in Washington, Friday, Jan. 20, 2017. From left are Vice President Mike Pence, the president's wife Melania Trump, their son Barron Trump, and Speaker of the House Paul Ryan, R-Wis. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite, Pool)

Reuters Should Retract This Disgusting and Unfair Blame Shifting to President Trump

Military officials who are no doubt holdovers from Barack Obama are trying to blame President Trump for the death of a soldier in Yemen.

US military officials told Reuters that Trump approved his first covert counterterrorism operation without sufficient intelligence, ground support, or adequate backup preparations.

As a result, three officials said, the attacking SEAL team found itself dropping onto a reinforced Al Qaeda base defended by landmines, snipers, and a larger-than-expected contingent of heavily armed Islamist extremists.

I realize this plays perfectly for partisans who want to believe the worst about the President, but this was a raid that was planned and organized under President Obama who deferred its operations to his successor given the timing.

If President Trump had told the military to scale back, change their plans, or otherwise alter what had been approved by the previous administration, it would be in this report. But it is not there. So one can only conclude that President Trump authorized the operation as the military designed it.

If there is fault, it is not President Trump’s fault any more than it is President Obama’s fault. It is the fault of those who planned the raid based on the intelligence on hand. Again, this was planned for months. Any intelligence failures, groud support failures, and backup failures were baked into the plan before Chief Justice Roberts ever administered the oath to Donald Trump.

The entire piece seems agenda driven as a blame shift to the President. It is the military’s role to plan their operation, explain it to the President, and tell him they are ready with his authorization. Reuters would have you believe President Trump himself, or President Obama, single handedly designed the operation. Nothing could be further from the truth.

President Trump trusted the opinions of those in the military who planned the operation and it is they, not the President, who told the President they were ready to carry out a plan that turned out to not to have “sufficient intelligence, ground support, or adequate backup preparations.”

About the author

Erick Erickson

View all posts