As Americans anxiously watch the 2016 election unfold, it is easy to see how perhaps the greatest long-term threat to our Republic is being upstaged by the outlandish allegations and hateful propaganda spewed by both sides. Yet, if you look back over the 200 years of American politics, back to the inception of this great nation, you’ll find our founders quite brilliantly recognized that, in order to have Liberty, certain rights must be irrevocable by Government. Therefore, it was essential for America’s founding doctrine to arise from the premise that all rights are endowed upon us by a power much greater than any man-made ruling, or government— a right bestowed up on all by the Creator.
Among those rights, it is notable the first was the amendment ensuring freedom of speech; freedom of the press; the right to peaceable assembly; the right to petition government for redress of grievances; and freedom of religion. Then, most-ingeniously, the second amendment was written to guarantee each one of us the God-given right to bear arms as means of protecting the first (and later) amendments.
Yet maybe now more than ever before, our rights to free speech and free press are under siege. If lost, so too is our Liberty. It may not happen overnight, and it may seem benign now to those who politically support those currently possessing the bulk of power. But please understand, sooner or later, there will come a time when that is no longer the case.
Here are just a few of the most recent examples:
- CNN erroneously edited a Donald Trump tweet presented to audience as graphic to then be discussed by panel of guests. In this case, the word “crooked” was removed before Hillary Clinton’s name.
- CNN deceptively edited video showing the sister of an armed black man shot and killed by a black police officers to make it appear that she was calling for peace and reporting it as such. However, the young lady was merely asking the rioters to burn the suburbs, where largely non-minorities reside.
- For the bulk of media outlets, questioning the health/vitality of Hillary Clinton is offensive and strictly off-limits; despite it being pushed by same sources against McCain in 2008,
- A long-time contributor for the Huffington Post claims he was fired after one of his articles was removed from site and wiped clean from the internet for mentioning worries over Hillary Clinton’s health.
- Media outlets across the country have removed all footage of Colin Kaepernick’s scathing indictment of Hillary Clinton, suggesting any other American would be in prison, during his now infamous locker-room interview taken after his refusal to stand for the national anthem. Many continue to omit Hillary all-together, while including Kaepernick calling Trump a bigot.
- ABC, CBS Blackout FBI Warning of Election System Hacks.
- Networks around the country censor U.S. Navy ship forced to fire warning shots.
- News outlets around the country fully omit Clinton’s 2008 campaign as original source of Obama “Birtherism” claim while attacking Donald Trump for repeating it.
There are many, many more examples like those listed above. Please note these are not examples of media ‘appearing’ to favor one party over another, commonly called “Media Bias” by many—but instead the outright censorship, omission and/or literally altering facts to help or harm one party over the other.
For anyone being intellectually honest, it is easy to understand how this trend could easily progress into de-facto state-run, or government-controlled media seen in countries like Russia, China and now Turkey. As such, Americans across the political spectrum should be unabashedly outraged and, God-willing, motivated to demand change.
But, in the event you find yourself justifying or downplaying the effects this will have on our nation’s future, I IMPLORE YOU to watch this video of Elisabeth Sabaditsch-Wolff speaking at an event organized by American Freedom Alliance in Los Angeles, regarding the deteriorating state of speech laws for citizens of European Union: https://youtu.be/CnhWd9OrJoo.
Thank you, Ms. Sabaditsch-Wolff, for your courageous commitment to restoring free speech rights in Europe as well as this insightful warning to America!