Let this be a lesson to young pranksters everywhere.
When 15-year old Iowa resident, Brady Olson decided to venture into the world of politics, he maybe should have started with running for class president, or something – not for President of the United States.
Some of you may remember Olson better for his brief, trending run under the pseudonym, Deez Nuts.
It seemed pretty funny, at the time.
Well, to a teenaged boy it was probably a riot, but to the Federal Election Commission, it’s likely a crime, and they’ve sent young Mr. Olson a letter, informing him of his impending troubles.
“It has come to the attention of the Federal Election Commission that you may have failed to include the true, correct, or complete committee name, candidate name, custodian of records information, treasurer information, and bank information,” the commission wrote to Brady Olson in a letter dated Sept. 27.
Let’s just take a moment to let this settle in.
Olson filed under the name “Deez Nuts” all the way back in July 2015. So after 2 full years and several months of contemplating it, the FEC finally comes to the conclusion that “Deez Nuts” probably wasn’t a real person? Seriously, what’s the big deal?
“Knowingly and willfully making any materially false, fictitious, or fraudulent statement or representation to a federal government agency, including the Federal Election Commission, is punishable,” the letter stated. “Commission may report apparent violations to the appropriate law enforcement.”
I’m going to go out on a limb and say the punishment might be more than simply taking his driving privileges away for a month.
As it was, Olson – or “Deez Nuts” – withdrew from the race a month after making his big splash, once his age was revealed. At 15-years old, even if he’d used his real name, he would have been unable to run. The rules state that those running for the presidency must be at least 35 years of age.
After dropping out and throwing his support behind Bernie Sanders, the goofy youngster told Rolling Stone that he was against the two-party system, and didn’t want to see another Clinton or a Bush in the White House.
Let’s not let it get past us that at 15, he was born during George W. Bush’s run (something I doubt he has much memory of, beyond toy trucks and eating paste), and from about 8-years old, up until he pulled his dumb stunt, he was growing up during an Obama presidency.
Somebody got him “woke,” I suppose?
Well, I hope he’s “woke” enough, at this point, to face the consequences of his ill-advised prank.
The letter came after the FEC said last year that it was cracking down on “candidates” that include serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer, “Master Alexander Soy Sauce-and-Taters,” “Butt Stuff” and Deez Nuts.
The FEC asked that Olson either confirm that he filled out the form correctly, which he didn’t, amend his earlier filing, or request that it be withdrawn, even though he could still face some sort of legal trouble.
I don’t know about the rest of those guys, but Olson has until November 1, 2017 to respond to the FEC.