The Resurgent’s team of Philip Swicegood, Josh Hammer, and Dave Scharoun will be releasing its own NCAA football poll throughout the season, along with running commentary about each week’s highlights.
1. Alabama (Last week: def LSU 10-0) (This week vs Mississippi State)
After struggling out of the gate against a high powered LSU defense, Alabama finished strong against the Les-less Tigers. If there is any team convinced they can beat the Tide, it is Mississippi State. State pulled out a massive upset against then 4th ranked Texas A&M. While they will most assuredly flame out in dramatic fashion, Team Resurgent hasn’t exactly been nailing the predictions this week, so take this with a grain of salt.
2. Clemson (Last week: def Syracuse 54-0) (This week: vs Pitt)
Clemson fans have to be feeling pretty good about life right now. Their next 3 games should be easy wins against unranked opponents with the possible exception of South Carolina on November 26th. The biggest question in Death Valley is do you start Heisman hopeful Deshaun Watson, or bench him for the next game or two. #FirstWorldProblems
3. Michigan (Last week: def Maryland 59-3) (This week: @ Iowa)
While ranked third in the nation, Michigan is in a much different position than any other team in the top 4 with the Ohio State game looming over their head at the end of the season. To Iowa’s credit, they did go 12-0 in 2015 before losing a heartbreaker in the Big Ten Championship (thats still a thing?) to Michigan State. Still, Iowa is no match for Michigan’s offense, defense, special teams, cheerleaders, you name it.
4. Washington (Last week: def Cal 66-27) (This week: vs USC)
NO. No, no no. Washington is not the 4th best team in the nation. #NeverTrump should officially become #NeverWashington. It fits politically and for college football. The reason this is such a big deal is number 4 makes the playoffs. There are MUCH better teams (such as #5-#25) than the Huskies that deserve to be in the playoffs. Southern Cal needs to do the nation a favor and win on Saturday.
5. Ohio State (Last week: def Nebraska 62-3) (This week: @Maryland)
Ever since Ohio State had the embarrassing loss to unranked and under investigation Penn State, the Buckeyes have been lights out. Last week Ohio State put up 62 on then 10th ranked Nebraska, basically solidifying J. T. Barrett as a Heisman finalist. Ohio States season is far from over with the final game of the season against number 3 Michigan.
6. Louisville (Last week: def Boston College 52-7) (This week: vs Wake Forest)
7. Wisconsin (Last week: def Northwester 21-7) (This week: vs Illinois)
8. Texas A & M (Last week: loss Miss St 35-28 LOL) (This week: vs Ole Miss)
9. Auburn (Last week: def Vanderbilt 23-16) (This week: @Georgia)
This has a legitimate shot of being an upset. Georgia is looking for a game to hang its hat on as a moral victory after a brutal season. Being a home game for Georgia, don’t count them out.
10. Penn State (Last week: def Iowa 41-14) (This week: @Indiana)
11. Oklahoma (Last week: def Iowa State 34-24) (This week: @Baylor)
12. Colorado (Last week: def UCLA 20-10) (This week: @Arizona)
13. Oklahoma State (Last week: def Kansas state 43-37) (This week: vs TTU)
14. Virginia Tech (Last week: def Duke 24-21) (This week: vs Georgia Tech)
15. Utah (Last week: def Arizona St 49-26) (This week: bye)
16. West Virginia (Last week: def Kansas 48-21) (This week: @Texas)
17. North Carolina (LOST TO DUKE)
In spectacular fashion, North Carolina lost to Duke on Thursday night 27-28. The funniest moment from the game was when the Duke students rushed the field and the Duke security guards realized they were outnumbered and immediately ran to protect the goal posts. If Duke is going to charge students $80K per year, losing 2 goal posts once a century isn’t that big of a deal. This was Dukes first win against a ranked opponent since 1954.
18. Florida State (Last week: def NC State 24-20) (This week: vs Boston College)
19. Nebraska (Last week: loss Ohio State 62-3) (This week: vs Minnesota)
20. USC (Last week: def Oregon 45-20) (This week: @Washington)
21. Western Michigan – NO ONE CARES
22. Boise State (Last week: def SJS 45-31) (This week: @Hawai)
23. Washington State (Last week: def Arizona 69-7) (This week: vs Cal)
24. LSU (Last week: loss Alabama 10-ZERO) (This week: @Arkansas)
25. Arkansas (Last week: def Florida 31-10) (This week: vs LSU)