In what will likely be a shock to some supporters, the Trump White House is pretty much waving off any need for the previously requested “seed money” to begin building a southern border wall.
Senate Republicans have said they felt that including a $1.5 billion request in with the pending government funding bill would cause complications, as the goal is to fund the government past April, and sandwiching that request between other items could cause a partisan split.
In a Wednesday press briefing, White House Press Secretary, Sean Spicer responded to the question about funding and the wall:
“That is our request,” press secretary Sean Spicer said Wednesday when asked if the wall funding is a deal breaker for a must-pass spending bill.
“We will continue to work with Congress on the rest of the FY ’17 budget,” he said.
Trump requested $1.5 billion from lawmakers this year to begin work on the wall he wants to build along the southern border, a central pillar of his campaign promise to crack down on illegal immigration.
President Trump has proposed several ways to pay for the wall, most of which consists of the Mexican government taking on the costs (which they refuse to do).
Having the American taxpayers foot the bill, then getting the Mexican government to pay for it, retroactively, is just the latest mutation of the wall plan.
For now, however, those plans will wait, as lawmakers set about getting a budget passed that takes care of what they see as more immediate necessities of keeping the lights in Washington on.